Sunday, November 22, 2009

Les Mis Part II

Where do I start? Let me just say that, believe it or not, I actually enjoyed Book One. No, it was not real exciting and I actually was quite bored with it initially but the very end of that part grabbed me. Not that it was a page turner, it definitely wasn't, but in the aspect that I think I would have enjoyed meeting that man. Not because he was a bishop, but because he was nice and, if I remember correctly, he was not always that way, he had more a temper when he was younger but became mellow, so he reminds me a little of myself. I have had some difficulties in my life but have come to realize that love really does cover a multitude of sins. So instead of being mad at the world and everyone else I just let things go and let people be who they choose to be. Not that I won't try to make someone happy, cuz I totally will. LOL>

On to some points I enjoyed.

Let me just point out that Victor Hugo had God's name in there; Jehovah. If Victor Hugo and George Lucas know it, why does it surprise everyone else? I mean, seriously...

I totally loved the conversation with the revolutionist. LOVED it. The revolutionist brought up the exact same issues I always try to explain to people but never have the confidence to do so like he did. I really would have enjoyed talking with him as well. I can't find the exact spots I meant to include here so I'll just ramble a bit, lol. He brought up that he didn't agree with Jesus' teaching that you need to be poor to love God. Yeah, this has always bugged me as it has been misconstrued. Jesus liked nice things but he was sent down for a purpose and he only had 3 1/2 years to do it so having a career was not on the list. What he did say is that the LOVE of money wasn't good, to work to achieve riches first and foremost would hold people back from serving God. Also he brought up that his teachings were for the poor and lowly. Well that's not exactly true either. Paul was very learned, a genius you might say, and he followed Christ's teachings as well. Lowly means humble, you can be rich, poor, genius, funny, etc. and still be humble. Humility is not a bad thing. Also, the revolutionist brought up war and I found that fascinating. There are always two sides to war. And isn't it interesting that each side will have their 'priests' blessing their own side? Each believe they are right and that brings me to this; war is not the answer. There, I said it, hate me or not but there it is in a nutshell. This part was interesting to me because I have watched The Scarlet Pimpernel so many times I know it by heart. But, of course, that is from the standpoint of the Aristocracy. This revolutionist showed me the other side and that further elucidated the point that war is never going to solve the problems, man does not have the perfect solution.

Yeah, that probably wasn't written well but I fell asleep before writing this last night and had to do it this morning and geez, I'm late and have to get going, ROFL. But I have a feeling someone is wanting to know how much I have read of the book and wanted to show that yes, indeed, I am reading it. I was introduced to Valjean and I'm already upset...

;) Hope everyone is having a good day.

3 comments:

Farsky said...

[in a sing-song voice] Tory's reading Les Mis, And she doesn't hate it. ^____^

Tory said...

You shut up, Farsky.

Farsky said...

MAKE ME.